I bought my house one year, 272 days ago. I bought it as a short sale. In other words, as is. In that time, I have replaced the carpet (due to holes from the previous owner’s cats); removed the disgusting blinds in the kitchen and replaced them with curtains; moved piles of dirt away from the house, as it was resting right against it; replaced the door leading to the garage and the door to the bathroom because they had holes in them; painted the bathroom to cover the ugly wallpaper; and moved the water heater so I can have access to under the house and to the HVAC unit.
And now we have a leaky pipe.
Every time we water the garden (TWICE a day!), the water leaks out of the faucet. It has been going on for some time. Over Labor Day weekend, we went camping, and my super thoughtful and detail-oriented boyfriend forgot to turn the faucet off. When we got home on Monday, we had a pool of water in the garage, with most of the water flowing outside and into the gutter. Oh, and into the crawlspace. Needless to say, I was more than a little irate. In my rage, I demanded that we fix the pipe. ASAP. This weekend, it was our project.
So, we sawed a hole in the drywall in the garage, so as not to ruin the siding of the house.
One of main concerns was that we would have a ton of mold. But it wasn’t even that wet. There were a ton of spiders. BIG ones. But we killed ’em and moved on. There was a lot of insulation that Little Miss Brainiac had just tossed into the space between the wall. (There is about a two foot gap here, as you will see in a moment.) So, we took all of that out, too. We saw the pipe, which Little Miss Brainiac has taken a strip of fiberglass insulation and duct taped it on there to prevent freeze. (This is what NOT to do, folks, as the pipe burst anyway!) Once we had removed that, we found the offending leak.
Wrapped in duct tape.
Yes, people, duct tape. I know some of you are thinking, “Duct tape works for everything!” It, however, does not work for things under pressure (i.e. water, acid, my blood).
We took off the duct tape. Then we went on a shopping spree at Lowe’s! This is what we purchased:
- Pipe Cutter
- Faucet for the outside
- Brushes to sand pipes
- Brushes for the flux
- Dust masks
- Soldering metal
- Cover for faucet for the winter to prevent freeze
- Blow torch!!!!
- Copper pipe
Then we got to work. We turned off the water (which was a fiasco in and of itself, but whatever), and cut the pipe. This is what it looked like up close:
Tyler measured it out, and we soldered the pipes and fittings on. This was certainly the best part of the project. We had wicked amounts of fun burning hot shit onto more hot shit.
And now we have a no-leak pipe. You know, the kind you are supposed to have. When we watered the garden last night, the water pressure was amazing. AND NO RUSHING WATER! It’s a good thing. When it was all said and done, I told Tyler, “I could have done that myself.” And it is true, you can do it, too!! (Although it cost us a little more than $20 because we had to buy the blow torch, but it was so worth the money.)